Student Advocate - Rosemary Anderson High School Share:
Why join us?
Realize your vision: Use your experience to help shape Portland Opportunities Industrialization
Center (POIC), a multi-faceted agency with
roots in workforce development that provides wide-ranging services meant to
promote stronger attachments between disenfranchised youth, their families, and
the wider community.
Work with an amazing team: Be a part of a fast-growing organization. Join a
talented staff dedicated to the mission of educating and supporting youth
through the age of 25.
Impact your community: Be a part of an innovative and holistic program which
houses a range of wrap-around services aimed at stabilizing families and
strengthening the community through education, crisis intervention, community
monitoring, case management and personal growth support.
Location: 9323 SE Harold Street, Portland, OR
Benefits: Full benefits package
Hours: General working hours are 7:30
AM - 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday, with occasional evenings and weekends, as
Reports to: Principal
Hourly Rate - based on experience
Position Summary: POIC + RAHS is looking for a Student
Advocate for our SE Lents campus to assist the school staff in maintaining
school discipline and positive behavior practices to create an environment
conducive to learning.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Assist school staff in maintaining school discipline and positive behavior practices
- Advocate to assist students in setting and meeting academic and behavioral goals
- Provide support to classroom teachers as necessary
- Maintain ongoing contact with students and families to promote student progress
- Manage student discipline records
- Assist teachers in maintaining a classroom environment conducive to learning
- Manage student behavior, during lunch, before, after and during school hours
- Maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school
- Use progressive discipline strategies to redirect students as necessary
- Work closely with the school principal to manage school safety procedures
- Other duties as assigned.
- An independent, self-motivated, creative and resourceful individual
- Leadership experience in schools or related educational agencies or organizations
- Experience in providing social and other supports to students
- Works well with professional staff in a small team setting
- Desire and ability to work with at-risk students and ensure an enriching, positive and safe environment.
- Value working in a multi-cultural, diverse environment
- Ability to proactively problem-solve and resolve conflict
- Ability to maintain organized and accurate records
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work with at-risk students who may exhibit emotional and behavioral issues
- Higher education a plus
- SPANISH speaking a plus
- Valid driver's license, reliable transportation and automobile insurance meeting minimum requirements as defined by the agency.
- Successful completion of initial and on-going employment screens, including, but not limited to criminal background, sex offender, drug, abuse and neglect and vehicle record as required.
- High School Diploma
About POIC + RAHS
Established in 1968 as a community-based organization, Portland Opportunities Industrialization Center, Inc. (POIC) has been providing culturally relevant adult workforce training and placement to adults, with an emphasis on people of color. In 1983, Rosemary Anderson High School (RAHS) was founded. Today, POIC+RAHS partners with government agencies, local businesses, and other community-based organizations to provide:
1. Open-door, accredited high school diploma and GED programming
2. Best practice peer, adult, and gang-impacted youth mentoring programs
3. Evidence-based young parent education and case management
4. Leadership development and training opportunities
5. College and career exploration, career coaching, internship opportunities, and job placement
6. Youth and gang violence intervention and prevention services
POIC + RAHS is committed to the future success of at-risk youth through the age of 25, providing the highest quality services in education, mentoring, family outreach, employment training, and placement.
We believe all people have value.
We believe all people can grow.
We believe all people can contribute and build thriving communities.
Visit our website at www.portlandoic.org.
To Apply - Become a Member of Our Team
To be considered for this opportunity, create an eRep account and take the Core Value Index, submit a cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position and why you are interested in joining the POIC team, 3 professional references, and a resume. No Phone Calls, Please.
POIC + RAHS is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please follow these steps to apply now:
Take CVI Assessment
- It's easy and takes only a few minutes.
- Get your resume out for employers to see.
- Hurry, jobs are waiting for you.
- Get noticed!
- Your interest in this job will be shown to the posting company.